Friday, March 4, 2011

Regarding the boring nail polish collections...


While I'm finishing up some spring collection reviews and working on a few other things, I thought I'd pose this question...

It seems that I'm not the only one who isn't particularly impressed by recent nail polish collections. My question is this: Are the collections actually boring/unoriginal/recycled or have we just maxed out on awesome stuff in the past few years?

Think about it. Think about all the incredible polishes that came out in the past two or three years. The greens, the glitters, the holos, the neons, all the exciting, edgy, fun and uncommon colors that are now cherished parts of our stashes. Have we seen it all? Can any new nail polish really impress us, or are we so overloaded with cool polish that nothing could ever top it?

I personally think it's a little of both for me. I do see a lot of recycled, safe colors right now, but I think my expectations are set so high from all the great stuff that's come out in the past few years that it may take more than just a little green polish to impress me.

Another thought I had.... Judging from the 160-ish of you that weighed in on my last post, most of us are wishing for the same thing. Better, more colorful holo polishes, better duochromes, lots of polishes in the 230/Toxin/Liquid Euphoria theme and more unusual colors.

If so many of us are saying that we want to buy these, that we would even be willing to pay more to have these types of colors, why don't the exist right now?

I've heard some speculation that they just can't make some of these colors anymore, specifically the 230-esque shimmer duochromes, because the pigments and minerals used to create them don't exist anymore.

Another theory I've heard (and I've suspected this as well) is that those types of colors don't work in the new Big 3 Free formula.

Are these colors impossible to make, or are they just cost-prohibitive? Are the materials exhausted or have they just forgotten how to make these types of colors?

Anyone with industry insight able to weigh in on this? Chemists? I'm all ears.

Anyway, those are the thoughts that have been kicking around in my head for a while. Wanted to see what all my fellow polish lovers thought. Please continue to list your wishes in the other post. I need to figure out a way to make it a permanent page so people can keep adding to it and using it as reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment